Tuesday 23 June 2015

Books



I don’t really read many books during the year/ever. Most people are pretty surprised at how poorly read I am. My rate is about one novel per year. *hangs head in shame*
I spend all my time reading university textbooks I guess, and I’m not one of these people that goes “I know what I’ll do this afternoon, I’ll sit down with a really good book for an hour or so”. Nope. Not me. I couldn’t sit still enough in the middle of the day ‘just to read’ – even though I know it’s really good for you, your brain and it’s psyche (it also gives you things to talk about at dinner parties and sound fancy). But I just don’t read much for pleasure.

All this is true EXCEPT when on holiday. 
When on a holiday that involves a pool or beach, I’ll make a point of picking a book to make my way through slowly to achieve my year’s quota. (I’m a slow reader too – no doubt a result of the little amount I read). 
And I’m even pretty lame when it comes to my breadth of literature. You’ll understand that, with just one book a year, I’ve got to pick wisely! And I get nervous to read books I don’t know much about – there’s too much risk involved! One book year – it’s got to be a good one. Therefore, all my recent holiday books have come from just one man’s pen – Mr John Grisham.

But this trip will be different. It’s a lot longer to start with. And I’m also travelling for 2 and half days each way. So I’m taking not one, not two, but FIVE books with me to keep me entertained (plus your standard travel magazines – Elle, InStyle, Glamour, Marie Claire).
And I’m writing this blog just after I’ve just managed to get hold of about half of the ones I wanted at bargain prices in the charity shops of Chester. Win!

My Micro-Library is:

Autobiography #1 Home by Julie Andrews. What an amazing lady she is. I WILL go and do the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg one day before I leave this planet. Plus, she grew up in Surrey, a pace I spent a year or so living in not too long ago!

Autobiography #2Only When I Laugh by Paul Merton, of Have I Got News for You and Just A Minute fame. A man I always think is very clever with his jokes and seems to have had an interesting life but one that you don’t hear much about very often. Hopefully, I’m about to find out….

Novel of choiceThe Millionaires by Brad Meltzer. Salvaged from a suitcase of books that was going to a jumble sale and a donation from my friend’s mum (Thanks GL if you’re reading!). I’m being brave in venturing away from Mr Grisham in my novels so have gone for this. The newspaper credits quote “this is about as Grisham as you can get without his name on the cover” (haha...yeah…’brave’!)

The wild card War Atlas of Asia and the Pacific 1941-1945 by David Smurthwaite. From my very first blog ‘Beginnings’, you may know that I was interested in the Pacific Isles for my elective, in part, from watching the HBO Miniseries The Pacific (showing the tales of WW2 military life in the region). And to this end, I’m determined to learn about the war in the Pacific: its beginnings at Pearl Harbour, its key battles and how it has shaped the world that I will be visiting.

And finally, for those times when I might be a bit homesick – Bill Bryson’s Notes from a Small Island. For a light-hearted reminder of life back home in the UK and I’m sure a very good remedy for any days when I’m feeling blue.

I’m hoping not to get through them too quickly or I’ll be twiddling my thumbs for the journey back. Although, I’m sure there’s very small risk of this given the snail’s pace I read at.
I will keep you posted on how good they all are! 

1 comment:

  1. I should have recommended you watched the 1957 classic 'Heaven Knows, Mr Allison' with Deborah Kerr (of The King and I fame, she never actually sang the songs, but it's my favourite musical!) and Robert Mitchum. They play a nun and marine stranded on a Japanese occupied Pacific island. It is also based on a book and a perfect Sunday afternoon film! :)

    ReplyDelete