Saturday 30 May 2015

Kosrae



Kosrae is one of the four states, and 607 islands, that make up the country of the Federal States of Micronesia. The four states, from east to west, are: Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei and Kosrae. Kosrae is the only state that consists of a single island. Each state is represented as a white star on the country’s flag (see the drawing in my video (top right)) and Pohnpei contains the largest island and the country’s capital Palikir. Incredibly, the country has a very small landmass but covers an area larger than the United States of America (!).
Many people, like myself when I first found out I was going to Kosrae, had some questions about the island. Hopefully I’ve tried to answer them here but if you have any others, feel free to leave a comment or be in touch!

Where is it?
Simple answer: in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. In the realm of places like Fiji and Tonga but further north than this.
Fancy answer: within the region of Micronesia in western Oceania, on the archipelago of the Caroline Islands. 3000 miles southwest of Hawaii, 2000 miles northeast of Australia.
Super fancy answer: Latitude 5oN, Longitude 163oE.

How big is it?
Area: 43 square miles

How big is that?
To try and help explain this one, here are some comparisons:

  • A third of the Isle of White
  • Just a bit less than the size of Jersey, UK
  • The area within the M25 is 2,600 square miles (43 square miles = 1.7% of this)
  • The whole Pacific Ocean is 63 MILLION square miles. 43 is a mere speck!
  • Same size as the city of Liverpool (which is a fantastic city I must add. Having lived there for 4 years, I must highly recommend it to anyone who’s never been. And nowhere else in the country will you find people with more passion for football.)

How many people live there?
7600 (approximately)

What language do they speak?
English is the official language but there are lots of native languages such as Kosraean. ‘Good morning’ in Kosraean is ‘Lotu wo’, and ‘thank you’ is ‘Kulo’.

Do they have a special currency?
Nope. Having been previously owned by USA, they continue to use the US Dollar.
In fact, I get the impression that the country is fairly American-ised. For example, the electricity is also US standard.

How warm is it?
Pretty tropical. It’s just north of the Equator and so temperatures are regularly 28-30oC during the day and don’t drop all that much at night time. It’s also really humid.

Is it at risk of wipeout by hurricanes/tornados like Vanuatu unfortunately suffered from earlier this year?
Fortunately not. Kosrae is a lot further north than Vanuatu and is out of the high risk typhoon belt.

What’s the deal with the hospital?
There is one hospital that serves the population of the island - The Kosrae State Hospital. There is one hospital per state in Micronesia but, unlike all the rest, Kosrae’s hospital just serves their one island. Of course, there will be a lot more I can tell you about the hospital once I arrive but I’m told it serves all the major specialities: medicine, pediatric, surgery, and OBGYN as well as public health. Plus, there is a travelling community service that goes out to do school health programs, community clinics, and surveillance. The hospital has around 35 beds and is located in the region of Tofol near to the administrative hub of the island along with the library, tourist centre, banks, major high school.



You’ll see that Kosrae is split into four regions and is actually 2 islands – there’s the extra Lelu island to the east, but it’s connected to the mainland by a road on the thin strip of land that isn’t shown on this diagram.

So this will be home for 5 weeks of the summer. I couldn’t have wished for somewhere that ticked more boxes for what I wanted out of an elective destination. I feel incredibly lucky…if not a little scared of the enormity of the adventure!


5 comments:

  1. I understand the "bit of fear of unknown" in the last sentence of this post...
    Out of all adventurous people I've met in my life, you are the best organised one.
    Thumbs up for this.
    I'm all curious to read more about your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice comment Dr Zigo! I'll be hoping all the organisation proves its worth in a safe and successful trip. And I shall be hoping to send you all at the medical practice a postcard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that all your organisation proves its worth.
    I found the text from my favourite author that I wrote about in the other comment.Just in English it sounds somewhat less powerful than it was in Czech. It is is more about a spiritual mindset for when we travel anywhere ouside our neck of woods; rather than practical pragmatic nugget of knowledge you were after, perhaps. Is it worth to mention it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. By all means, please do share it - it sounds interesting. It may prove to be some good reading whilst I am on the plane to my destination! Perhaps email is the best way to send it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this proceedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete